Saturday May 12 2018
10:00 A.M to 5:00 P.M.
Talbot County is steeped in more than 350 years of American history. Named in honor of Lady Grace, wife of Sir Robert Talbot and
sister of Cecilius Calvert, second Lord Baltimore, Talbot County was settled by the English about 1661. The Chesapeake Bay and
some of its navigable tributaries (the Tred Avon, Choptank, Miles, Tuckahoe, and Wye rivers) provide more than 600 miles of water-
front for Talbot County. Easy water access for travelers and prospective traders trying to reach estates and towns alike helped to
make this area an early settlement and it continues to draw countless visitors by “land and sea” today. Easton, the county seat since
1778, once was known as “Talbot Town.” Significant early political and legal history of the United States originated in Talbot County
and local residents are justifiably proud of that history and the preservation of its prominent buildings, historic homes and carefully
tended gardens such as those you will visit today. Enjoy your Pilgrimage in Talbot County!
Advisors: Caroline Benson and Peg Keller.
Committee Chairs: Ads: Mary Helen Cobb. Flowers: Ingrid Blanton. Historical Society Information and Hospitality: Georgia Adler
and Susie Granville. Hostess: Nancy Carns. Luncheon: Lucy Spiegel and Sara Walker. Parking: Meredith Watters. Patrons: Pat
Lewers and Martha Horner. Photography: Marsie Hawkinson and Laura Carney. Publicity: DeDe Hoopes. Rack Cards:
Rebecca Gaffney. Road Marking: Carol Harrison and Alden Firth. Script: Burry Parker. Treasurers: Virginia Sappington and
Maxine Millar . Tour Bells: Caroline Benson.
Lunch: Reservations: Box Lunches are being provided by EatSprout, an organic, locally sourced food company and cost $15. They
can be ordered in advance at www.eatsprout.com/gardenclubor purchased on the day of the Pilgrimage. The EatSprout Food Truck
will be in the public parking lot next to the Prager Family Auditorium, (and next to Site #1) for lunch pickup from 9 A.M. to 3 P.M.
Questions regarding lunch reservations may be phoned to Lucy Spiegel 410-991-0645.
Restrooms: Are located inthe Prager FamilyAuditorium.
Special Project : Proceeds from the Talbot Tour will be used to replace all of the diseased English boxwood and make other repairs
to the irrigation system and other infrastructure in the Talbot County Historical Society Garden. All plans are being made to insure
that changes will be in keeping with the historic Neale House where the Talbot County Historical Society is located. Members of
the Talbot County Garden Club created these gardens in the 1960s and they are open to the public 365 days a year. The club
members have lovingly maintained these gardens and dedicate their time every other Tuesday during the growing season to keep
them in perfect condition.
Information Headquarters: Prager Family Auditorium , 17 South Washington Street. Information table will be manned from
10:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. the day of the tour. Tickets and tour books will be available at all sites on tour day. Contact Georgia Adler at
410-443-7542 for any questions the day of the tour. Begin your tour at any site or as planned below.
BALTIMORE: EAST on Rt. 50 across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. SOUTH on Rt. 50 to Rt. 322. Bear RIGHT and go 2.0 miles to
4th traffic light. Turn LEFT onto Rt. 33 EAST (Bay Street). Proceed 0.5 mile to traffic light at Washington Street. Turn RIGHT 0.2
mile to Site #1, The Talbot Historical Society Auditorium and Gardens on the RIGHT, adjacent to the municipal parking lot.
WASHINGTON, DC: Rt. 50 Easton across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, then follow Baltimore directions.
WILMINGTON AND PHILADELPHIA: I-95 SOUTH to Rt. 1 SOUTH. Take Rt. 299 WEST to Rt. 301 SOUTH. Continue on Rt.
301 to Rt. 213. Exit at 213 and turn LEFT. Follow 213 to Rt. 50. Turn LEFT on Rt. 50 to Rt. 322 (Easton Parkway) then follow Bal-
SALISBURY AND NORFOLK: Rt. 13 NORTH to Salisbury; then Route 50 WEST to Easton. Exit LEFT onto Rt. 322 (Easton
Parkway). At third traffic light turn RIGHT on Rt. 33 EAST (Bay Street). Proceed 0.5 mile to traffic light at Washington Street.
Turn RIGHT 0.2 mile to Site #1, Historical Society
Gardens on RIGHT.
FOLLOW PILGRIMAGE GREEN
ARROWS AND SIGNS.
1. TALBOT COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY GARDENS, 29 South Washington Street, Easton 21601.
You are invited to tour the Historical Society’s Gardens that are maintained by Talbot County Garden Club members. Enter through the North Terrace on Washington Street. The hand-wrought iron gate was designed to complement the Charleston Gate at the far end of the garden and incorporates the Society’s “Star” logo. This charming entrance garden was designed with the assistance of noted garden designer Gordon Hayward to create a beautiful public entrance
access to the larger garden. It includes dwarf boxwood, spring and fall blooming camellias, oak leaf hydrangeas and native Sweet Bay magnolias. The adjacent picket fence was designed after that at the Chase-Lloyd Garden in Annapolis. The South Terrace Garden was the gift of the Talbot County Garden Club in 1961 and was redesigned and replanted in 2015. The Nettie Jones Garden has rectangular beds and intersecting axis as is typical of classical garden design in the 17th and 18th centuries. The Alice D. Huxley Herb Garden in the right rear corner has a sundial as its focal point. Enjoy these beloved gardens. From the Historical Society or the municipal parking lot next door, turn RIGHT on Washington Street. Proceed 0.5 miles to the light and turn RIGHT onto Peach Blossom Road, Rt. 333. Proceed straight through the next traffic light onto Oxford Road (Route 333) Continue 0.7 miles and turn RIGHT onto Cedar Point Road. Continue for 1.0 mile and turn LEFT on Ripley Road to Site #2.
2. TWO COVES, 28035 Legates Cove, Easton 21601.
Originally constructed in 1965 near an old brick barn and situated on over two acres of land, this home enjoys a unique 270-degree view of LeGates Cove, a tributaryoff of Talbot County’s Peach Blossom Creek. Since acquiring the property in 2011, the current owners have undergone a comprehensive expansion and update of the property. Nearly every surface of the house was redone. A chef’s kitchen was added along with all of the architectural moldings and new windows and doors. There is a dining area the owners call the “Grotto” and the first floor features a large master bedroom suite with an outside entrance. A magnificent two-story staircase leads to the upper floor’s en-suite bedrooms along with a screened porch including a fireplace and spectacular view of LeGates Cove—home to all kinds of eastern shore waterfowl. The grounds at Two Coves have also been updated with the addition of expansive gardens ringing the house, a salt water swimming pool set on an east-west orientation so it receives sun all day plus an attractive two-story guest cottage that was once a horse stable; it now has an open kitchen and living-dining area with upstairs bedrooms. “We found the names of horses written on some of the supporting structure,”
said the owner.
Exit Cedar Point Road. Turn RIGHT on Oxford Road and continue 1.6 miles and turn RIGHT on Baileys Neck Road.
Go 0.5 miles and turn left on Canterbury Drive. Proceed 0.9 Miles to Site #3.
3. OWLS NEST, 5989 Canterbury Drive, Easton 21601.
Situated on 13 plus acres overlooking Trippe Creek, Owls Nest was originally built in 1972 on property which once served as the nursery for Canterbury Manor, a 1,000 acre estate which dates back to the 1600s. The one-story house, although well-constructed with flemish bond brick, was acquired in 2013 by Caroline Boutte, the principal architectural designer for Graybanks Design Group, LLC and her husband Peter Gallagher. The house and property un- derwent a dramatic transformation involving major renovations plus newly constructed additions designed to embrace indoor an outdoor living which take full advantage of the home’s tranquil views over Trippe’s Creek. Mrs. Boutte’s architectural style is renowned for incorporating older architectural elements in her new construction. This is evident upon entering the foyer which is clad in 18th century wooden panels salvaged from a home in France. The entry’s custom wooden doors have a leaded glass surround and sidelights which were found in a 1920s Elks Club mansion in the midwest. Elements from Europe are again incorporated into the kitchen/family room where contemporary white cabinetry is flanked by 1850s bird carvings from seven different provinces in France. Among the interesting details, be sure to look for the four-foot inlaid marble plaque of the Blue Willow design embedded in the ten-foot slab of marble over the range. In the living room, visitors will find three sets of hand-carved 19 thcentury stone and bone inlaid doors from India and like many of the rooms, it contains a display of antique china which the Gallagher’s have collected over the years. The Gallagher’s have also added numerous plantings to
the grounds which are punctuated on the waterside of the house with many beautiful specimen trees from the property’s origins as
part of the Canterbury Manor nursery.
Exit back to Oxford Road and turn LEFT. Proceed 2.3 miles to traffic light and turn LEFT on Route 322 (Easton by-pass). Proceed 1.1 mile to 2nd traffic light and turn LEFT on Rt 33 (St. Michaels Road). Travel 4.1 miles and turn LEFT on Route 329 toward Royal Oak. Follow 1.3 miles and turn LEFT on Hopkins Neck Road. Drive 1 mile to Site #4.
4. HALCYON, 6613 Hopkins Neck Road, Easton 21601.
This 85-acre country retreat on Maryland’s Eastern Shore abuts the Tred Avon River and offers expansive views across the water. Described by the owner as “the Garden of the Seven Veils,” the design distills the ecological and cultural context of the area and responds to the needs of a growing family who lives, plays and entertains in a grand fashion. Halcyon was originally built in the traditional “railroad style” home which was only 18 feet deep and over 100 feet long with a Mount Vernon-style veranda. The interior of the house did not meet the promise of the grand front porch so the owners decided to undergo a major renovation in 1997, under the direction of architect, Caroline Boutte. An additional 18' x 100' structure was added so the original structure became the Winter Rooms—decorated in rich warm hues—and the new addition became the Summer Rooms with a bright fresh lighthearted palette. Wonderful mural paintings grace the elegant dining room as well as the foyer ceiling. Verandas and porches around the home were also designed to accommodate a busy social calendar. The home is full of fabulous art which will delight your every turn and is the perfect complement to the extraordinarily graceful grounds. Initially, the Georgian revival house sat amid a flat, featureless expanse of lawn. The landscape architectural firm, OEHME, VAN SWEDEN (OvS), realigned the driveway and entry sequence and organized vehicular and pedestrian circulation throughout the property. Sensitivity to the precarious ecology was paramount for revetment of the shoreline, but also for inland ponds and wetlands. An expansive elliptical pool with an infinity edge reflects the adjacent river in the warm weather months. OvS’ trademark planting defines different areas of the garden and are a means to enclose rooms while preserving the property’s chief visual attraction—the water. Plantings create a sense of place but remain visually permeable, allowing glimpses of the area beyond, and inviting
Follow exiting instructions on site which will lead you to Diamond Hall Road. Proceed to the end and turn LEFT on
Double Mill Road and RIGHT onto Hopkins Neck. Signs will direct you back to the St. Michaels Road (Rt 33). Turn
RIGHT on Rt. 33 and make first RIGHT onto Travelers Rest Road. Take first LEFT onto Trippe Road and follow sign
for Site #5.
5. AUBURN, 27386 Trippe Road, Easton 21601.
Traveling down the long and beautiful lane of sycamore trees, visitors will feel like they’ve been taken back to another era. Auburn was originally part of the farm known as Ratcliffe Manor and was purchased from the estate of James S. Bartlett in 1920 by Barclay H. Trippe, Sr. and his wife Mary Henry Trippe. Born in Easton in 1878, Mr. Trippe worked in New York for many years before moving back to Talbot County. An article written in the 1924 Architecture magazine pictures the transition of the house from a deteriorated condition to its present design. Working with noted Baltimore architect, Henry Hopkins, Mr. and Mrs. Trippe completely restored this charming home. The oldest part of the house dates back to the 1700s and contains the kitchen, a den and upstairs bedroom. An interested “cat-slide” roof was added during the renovation. In addition, the main part of the house dating from the 1850s was connected on the second floor to the old part. A center hall colonial, Auburn opens to a long southerly vista down the Tred Avon River. There is a graceful staircase ascending three stories and original millwork is seen throughout. The house is situated on 132 acres of farm and woodlands with a mile of waterfront on Shipshead Creek and the Tred Avon River. Among the family portraits in the house are two painted (c. 1740) by John Hesselias. One is of William Hayward, last judge of the British Crown in Maryland, with his son, Thomas and the other is a companion portrait of his wife, Mary Robins Hayward. Mr. Trippe named the farm after the auburn color of his daughter Martha’s hair. Of note is the fact that a fourth-generation family member, now living in the house, also has auburn hair.
Exit back to St. Michaels Road and turn RIGHT. Drive 2.2 miles to first stop light and turn LEFT on Unionville Road (Rt. 370 NORTH). Take first RIGHT on Glebe Road and drive 1.7 miles. Take LEFT on Goldsborough Neck Road and drive 0.3 miles. Turn LEFT on Villa Road. Proceed 1.4 miles to Site #6.
6. TAMARIND, 27850 Villa Road, Easton 21601.
HERON HOUSE is named for the tall Blue Heron sculpture standing in the stairwell window and overlooking Goldsborough Creek. It was originally a four bedroom dwelling renovated from the ground up, involving the reconfiguration of rooms and an addition of a third floor. The orientation of the house was turned toward the main house at Tamarind and a large deck was added to join the swimming pool and allow a better view of the creek. Inside, Heron House has a modern vibe with contemporary furnishings. The main floor has an open floor plan with a kitchen, dining area, and a living room with fireplace. Whimsical touches reign throughout, from the fuzzy black sheep in the living room to the third floor child’s fancy with cubbies for sleeping, reading, and most of all having fun! Heron House is the perfect place to spend a few days or longer. As you approach THE COTTAGE from the water, you are reminded of a country outbuilding which has been updated. The red exterior and tower evoke feelings of times gone by. Upon entering the dwelling, the charm is immediately apparent with its high ceilings, multiple stacked windows, basket of flowers chandelier and bumble bee lighting at the breakfast bar. The Cottage has three bedrooms, cozy and comfy with American quilts covering the French doors which open to the creek. Two of the bedrooms have their own baths with handmade country tiles. The Cottage is a perfect “getaway” from home and anyone lucky enough to stayherewill have a wonderful experience! Both of these charming guest houses were designed and decorated by Architect Caroline Boutte.
Exit to Villa Road. Turn LEFT on Goldsborough Neck Road. Go 1.5 miles and stay LEFT at fork and proceed 1.8 miles
and turn LEFT on Myrtle Grove Lane Site #7.
7. MYRTLE GROVE, Myrtle Grove Lane, Easton 21601.
A long lane in the Goldsborough Neck area leads to Myrtle Grove, the oldest portion of which was built between 1724 and 1734 by the Goldsborough family which was deeded the land in 1690. In front of the main residence stands a small one-story building,built in 1770 and originally used by a member of the Goldsborough family as a law office. It’sbelieved to be the oldest law office in the United States and the18 th century paneling remains intact. Inside the office, a narrow staircase to the left of the fireplace leads to a small room where students slept after reading law during the day with Judge Goldsborough. The grounds include magnificent greens overlooking the confluence of the Miles River and Goldsborough Creek—beautiful cedars, magnolias and other ancient trees which the current owners have sought to preserve. Myrtle Grove is a classic example of a telescope house built in the Georgian style. The oldest portion contains an L-shaped center hall with one room on either side. The newer, back wing of the house was built in 1790 with bricks made at Myrtle Grove and laid in a Flemish bond pattern. A kitchen wing was added in 1927. Original floors and doors, a rich array of hardware, elegant woodwork and decorative plaster cornices are present throughout the house. The current owners have undertaken extensive renovations including the construction of a pool house, barn, and gatehouse along withtheinstallation of extensive gardens and a pond. The interior of the main house retains many of the original decorative features including the American eagle cornices and a ceiling cornice depicting tobacco leaves and corn sheaves. Period furnishings adorn the main house including a 1790 mirror in the hall of the birch section which is original to the house. In the living room, a window behind the 1888 Steinway grand piano contains the engraved signature of Robert E. Lee.
To return home, follow Goldsborough Neck Road and drive 2.3 miles. Take LEFT at Airport Road which will take you
back to Route 50. Proceed NORTH or SOUTH at the traffic light.
The Talbot County Garden Clubthank syou for visiting our lovely and exceptional homes and wehope you’vehad a wonderful ex-
Do you see pagodas or seashells when you first approach Rivermark? The interesting roofline of Rivermark, depending on your point of view, may resemble pagodas or seashells or even Hershey Kisses. First named “Shell House,” this complex was designed by nationally-known architect Albert Bromley and built in the late 1970s. The six octagonal shapes joined by wings into a half circle and roofed like pagodas was inspired by houses in the French West Indies. Lore suggests that the reason for the octagonal shapes in various rooms was so that “no evil spirits could hide in the corners.” In spite of the threat of unhappy spirits, many renovations have been completed over the years since the owners purchased the house in 2005. The original gallery room facing the Miles River, the Delft tiled fireplace with its antique Baltimore mantelpiece, the tray ceilings and crown moldings remain as does the indoor swimming pool. From the moment you pass the upside-down dolphin sculptures atop pillars at the end of the driveway, you will wonder why they and others on the property are upside down. Longtime research has disclosed that the dolphins represent kind, kingly qualities and gracious living. After finding the home in disrepair, the owners have made this unusual house a gracious home. Lovely gardens with espaliered walls, a central pond and fountain all add to the beauty of this not-to-miss fascinating home on the Miles River.
Emerson Point House
Was built on a 220-acre working farm on the banks of the Eastern Bay/Miles River in the 1930s. The handsome brick, three-story Georgian Style house replaced the original wood framed farmhouse that was built more than a century earlier. The house is approached by a long, sweeping driveway lined with Cryptomeria (Japanese cedar) and Cedar trees. The first owners, with a passion for trees, planted many specimen trees including Japanese Zelkova, an American Beech allée, crepe myrtle allée, and magnolias. The blueprint of the original gardens is on display and although little of the formal gardens remain, the leafy, undulating setting and location by the water speak volumes. A row of mature oak trees along the walkway to the boathouse and dock were grown from seedlings of the original ‘Wye Oak’ tree on Maryland’s Eastern Shore that was the largest White Oak recorded in the USA until its demise in 2002. A cemetery on the property, dating from 1838 has the graves of several noted Eastern Shore families including William and John Hambleton and Rowena Hambleton Auld, second wife of Captain Thomas Auld, who once owned Frederick Douglass when he was a slave. There are also numerous unknown slave graves marked simply by single stones. There is an understated elegance to the interior of the house, which highlights the quality of the original millwork throughout, the pine clad library, the mahogany doors and the fine antiques, including a 1909 Steinway concert grand piano. The current owners bought the house in 2011 and have since devotedly worked on the restoration of Emerson Point. The house had no permanent inhabitants since the 1960s so there was much to be tackled. It has been the owners’ aim to bring the house back to life as a place for their extended family to enjoy while preserving the character and charm of the original concept.
The Kemps, a Quaker family originating from Bolton, England, established Bolton Farm in 1659. The farm stayed in the Kemp family for more than 200 years and became known as Quaker Kemp Farm. The farm encompasses 160 acres and includes a manor house, guesthouse, barns, multiple outbuildings, two ponds, a forest, and 1/2 mile of waterfront on Eastern Bay looking out toward Poplar Island. The farm is home to several breeds of Icelandic, Valais and Black Welsh Mountain sheep, as well as a herd of miniature dairy goats. The guesthouse is on the site of the original residence with a foundation dating from 1790. In 1810 the first house burned down and the current structure was built on that existing foundation. The facade of the guesthouse is Flemish Bond and the interior has original woodwork throughout, including the railing leading from the entry hall to the third floor. The cemetery near the guesthouse served the Kemp and Dawson families with the oldest tombstone dated 1790. The Manor House was built in 1914 with improvements made over the decades, even as recently as 2018. Feel free to stroll around this charming property, visiting the first floors of the main house and guesthouse while enjoying the pastoral setting of the sheep in their paddocks.
Purchased in 1993 as a weekend getaway, the property on Harris Creek was renamed Aquavitae (Latin for Water of Life) and completely revived. Through the years the former working farm has been transformed into an elegant estate. As the owners are avid travelers and collectors, the main house was designed and built to display their collections. The 18,000 square foot home took two years to design and four years to build. Their favorite room is the gourmet kitchen with coffered ceiling, fireplace and French range. Yoshino cherry trees line the driveway and extensive gardens feature an array of plantings to include several stately Japanese maples. A large bronze eagle sculpture is in a garden surrounded by crepe myrtles. Of special note is the majestic tree shading the pool. Hydrangeas fill the plantings around the main house. A twenty-five-year-old climbing white hydrangea surrounds a figure of the Bird Girl (AKA—Good and Evil). The undergrowth in the woods has been cleared to allow strolling paths through the pines. The 40' high party barn with widow’s walk offers scenic vistas and generous interior entertainment space. The materials of the main house were chosen from a Pennsylvania stone quarry to match the three-foot foundation of the party barn. The barn has wide windows for panoramic views of the surrounding land and water with huge barn doors, each weighing 700 pounds. The cottage is a guesthouse, built in 2005 with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) features. Its gardens were designed to shield it from view when entering the main property. All three buildings are open.
Buses will return visitors to St. Mary’s Square for the walking tour of the Museum buildings and nearby historic Christ Church and Cannonball House. Buses will then go to the school parking lots.
St. Mary's Square, St. Michaels
St. Mary’s Square was envisioned as the center of St. Michaels when developer James Braddock created the official town plan in 1778. The town’s public market house was built in the center and a lot was donated to the Methodist Church. Before the battle of St. Michaels in 1813 militia drilled on the square. Later the town’s schools were located on the square. It seems most fitting that the three buildings of the museum have been moved to this historic square.
Hospitality/Information and Pre-Paid luncheon pick up at the Women’s Club of St. Michaels. Luncheon may be picked up between 10:00 A.M. and 2:30 P.M. on tour day. Tickets and tour books will be available at the Hospitality/Information location and all homes on tour day.
St. Michaels Museum:
201 Chestnut Street, St. Michaels 21663. St. Michaels Museum complex: St. Mary’s Square was the focal point of the 1778 town plan drawn by English factor James Braddock during the American Revolution. St. Michaels Museum is actually a collection of three small 19th Century buildings that were moved from three different locations in St. Michaels. Take time to wander its buildings to learn more about historic Talbot County.
Sewell House: In 1964, after the town celebrated the 150th anniversary of the August 10, 1813 battle against the British, a dedicated group decided to move the Sewell House to the former site of the 1888 St. Michaels public school. Part of the Sewell House was originally a steam mill (c1818) which was dismantled in the late 1840s by shipyard owner Edward Wiley. It was then sold to Jeremiah Sewell who moved it, adding it to his small home on what is now Mill Street where he and his wife raised seven children.
The Teetotum: The Sewell House is connected by a hyphen to the museum’s second building, the picturesque 1860s Teetotum Building. Currently in the hyphen there is an exhibit on the life of Frederick Douglass, born in Talbot County. In 1888 he lived in St. Michaels and the surrounding area for three years as an enslaved teenager. The one-story Teetotum, once located on Willow Street behind Christ Church, was a commercial duplex for more than one hundred years. It had many uses over the years at its old location: a magistrate office, town jail, a saddle and harness shop, even a library with its last use as a barbershop. Today the first floor is one large room holding several of the museum’s collections. The collections range from paintings by artists who were active here, writers such as James Michener who lived in Talbot County while writing Chesapeake, 19th century sewing implements and women’s accessories, a large diorama of St. Michaels in 1813, and several exhibits on topics such as those who served in the War of 1812 and the Civil War, commercial history of the town and a history of St. Mary’s Square. The 2020 addition to the Teetotum will house the museum’s
library, office and artifact storage.
Chaney House: (NOTE: House is NOT open to visitors.) The third building in the museum complex is the small Chaney House with one room down and one room above. The three free African-American Chaney brothers built the house in 1851. It is significant since there are few African-American dwellings of this era existing today in St. Michaels. Moved to the Square from Fremont Street in 2003, it has been the museum office and the museum’s small library that features genealogical records and local history. The first floor of Chaney House is currently being turned into a period room illustrating how free African-Americans lived before and after the Civil War in St. Michaels.
While visiting St. Mary’s Square, take time to stroll by the historic Cannonball House located at 200 Mulberry Street. The house was built by William Merchant, a shipbuilder when Thomas Jefferson was president and is listed on the Department of Interior’s National Register of Historic Places. This was the only house in St Michaels that was hit during the War of 1812. During the British attack on St. Michael’s in August 1813, according to lore, a cannonball bounced off the chimney, barreled through a dormer window, rolled across the attic and then bounced down the steps, leaving burn marks that are still visible today. The Flemish bond brick house, typical of the Federal period, has not been dramatically altered in the more than 200 years of its existence. The “porch” on the front of the house dates from the Victorian period and was enclosed in the middle of the last century. Not far from St. Mary’s Square is the historic “high Victorian Gothic” Christ Church, St. Michaels Parish. (Note: Church docents will be available from 11:00 A.M. until 4:00 P.M.) The first church building was erected in 1672 and named after the adjacent river. The town of St. Michaels was subsequently named after the parish. The original church, accessible by boat, was built of wood while the fourth and current church on the site is constructed of granite brought from Port Deposit, Maryland, and designed by the famous architect Henry Congdon. Inside the church is a small Baptismal font given as a gift by Queen Anne of England in 1707. During a renovation of the church’s foundation, muskets owned by the town militia were uncovered from the War of 1812 and taken to the Maryland Statehouse for safe-keeping. Two large bald cypress trees stand in the churchyard. The one on the south lawn is reported to be the fourth largest in Maryland.
Sites #6 and #7 are reached by car. Exit school parking lots. Turn left onto Seymour Avenue. Turn left from Seymour Avenue onto Talbot Street (St. Michaels Road). Continue 1.0 mile, turning right onto Pea Neck Road. Proceed down Pea Neck Road 1.3 miles to Drum Point Road. Bear to the right and continue 0.25 mile.
New Forest - Scupture Garden
7308 Drum Point Road, St. Michaels 21663. (NOTE: House is NOT open to visitors.) This charming collection was started 25 years ago when the owners had a home in the South of England. When a sculpture park opened near their English home, they were among the first to visit. The Cass Sculpture Foundation (Goodwood Sculpture Park as it was then called) had commissioned more than 50 works by contemporary British artists to be placed in a park-like setting. Inspired by the beauty of nature in harmony with man-made works of art, it was there they acquired their first sculpture, Eva Drewett’s “Around Man.” That one sculpture moved with the family wherever they were transferred. When back in the United States, they purchased another work from the British sculpture park—Sally Matthew’s “Wolves.” The collection had begun! All of the other works were found in galleries in the United States or abroad. When they liked a piece (both had to agree) they always tried to meet the artist and invite the artist to come to their property to help place the sculpture. When they commissioned one work from a British artist—Walter Bailey’s “Cloud,” he and his son came to the Eastern Shore, sourced the material, and created the wooden piece where it stands! The materials in this eclectic collection vary from wood to bronze to granite and epoxy. Generally, there are two pieces by each artist. This did not always work out because either the artist’s works had become too expensive or in Ella Tulin’s case, the artist had since died, and there were no more sculptures available. Viewers are encouraged to make their own interpretations of the works. The names that the artists have given are a hint but often the works are untitled and open to one’s own different meaning. (Small signs with the artists’ names will be visible during the tour).
As you are leaving Site #6, turn left onto Drum Point Road to Pea Neck Road. Bear left and follow Pea Neck Road 1.3 miles to MD Rt. 33 (St. Michaels Road) and turn right. Proceed on St. Michaels Road for 5.5 miles. Site #7 will be on the right.
Christ Episcopal Church fo the Great Choptank Parish
601 Church Street, Cambridge 21613. Great Choptank Parish is one of two parishes in Dorchester County created by an Act of Assembly signed into law on June 9, 1692 by Governor Lionel Copley, Esq. The first church building on this site was erected sometime after 1693, the second in 1794. After a disastrous fire in 1882, the present structure, a neo-Gothic church noted for its magnificent stained glass windows by various artists (including Tiffany of New York City), was built between 1883 and 1884. The church is constructed of green serpentine stone on a cruciform plan designed by Baltimore architect Charles E. Cassell. It houses a collection of lovely old silver pieces, one of which was a gift from Henry Trippe in 1743, and needlepoint kneelers and cushions crafted by church members. Altar rail kneelers are all beautiful scenes that represent the Eastern Shore, including wildlife, sailboats, wildflowers and crab pots. The churchyard has been a burial ground since the latter half of the 17th century. The earliest dated monuments are for Magdalen and William Stevens who died in 1678 and 1684, respectively. Flags, emblems and informative signs mark the graves of Revolutionary War patriots and statesmen as well as four Maryland Governors: Charles Goldsborough, Henry Lloyd, Phillips Lee Goldsborough, and Emerson Harrington.
To proceed to Site #8, head southeast on Church Street toward High Street. Turn right onto High Street and continue straight for 0.7 miles. Turn right onto MD-343 West/Washington Street. This road becomes Hudson Road when you leave Cambridge. Bear left at the fork in the road (Horn Point is to your right). Continue on this road for approximately 2.5 miles. Look for a blue house sign on the left that says “Don Lee.” Turn left onto the gravel driveway. Continue, bearing right at the fork, and Site #8 is on the left.
27389 St. Michaels Road (Rte. 33), Easton 21601. A pea gravel drive winds past a shaded two-tiered pond and invites you to marvel at the painstakingly fully restored 18th Century three-story manor house with additions to accommodate 21st Century living. Sheepshead Point Farm was referenced in Talbot County documents with a land patent of 1664. Over time the name of the property was corrupted to Shipshead and later Shipshead Farm. Under the skillful design and direction of Easton architect, Christine Dayton, the project took four years to complete. Full restoration achieved a geo-thermal conditioned, fully plumbed and electrified home, but has allowed the historical charm to remain. The original portion of the home sits upon a brick foundation with frame and brick nogging in the walls. The heart pine flooring is original on all floors of the main house. The fifteen-foot-high foyer and parlor ceilings are enhanced by original plaster crown molding and delicately carved plaster ceiling medallions. The incredible oval stairway is original to the home. New additions allow for a new kitchen, dining room, spacious great room for entertaining and a private master suite with garden and farm views of grazing wildlife and numerous species of migrating waterfowl during the winter months. The meandering backyard pathways dotted with a variety of grasses, crepe myrtles and perennials, lead the eyes beyond a pond-like swimming pool and butterfly gardens to the expansive farm fields beyond. Low-lying areas of the fields were converted into impoundments that are flooded in the fall to create habitat for waterfowl. An archaeological project was conducted in a field to the east, where a brick foundation was found and determined to be the first Free School in Talbot County. Artifacts were catalogued and are displayed in the library of the home. Sensitivity in conserving farmland from development and creating a mecca for wildlife were foremost on the minds of the owners over the last 30 years. They hope you will find your own sense of peace as you walk the grounds of this hidden gem.
Returning home from Site #7: Turn right onto MD Rt. 33 (St. Michaels Road) and proceed 3.7 miles to MD Rt. 322 (Easton Parkway) which is at the 3rd traffic light.
Salisbury, Norfolk, and points South: Turn right onto MD Rt. 322 and continue to merge with US Rt. 50 East.
Baltimore, Washington, Wilmington, Philadelphia, and points north or west. Turn left onto MD Rt. 322 and proceed through 4 traffic lights to US Rt. 50 West.