SATURDAY, MAY 15, 2010 10:00
am to 5 pm
Rain or Shine
Click here to download a PDF with
Directions, Tour Information and other Details.
HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF TALBOT COUNTY, 17 SOUTH WASHINGTON STREET,
The Society’s gardens may be
entered through the North Terrace on Washington Street. The hand-wrought
iron gate was designed to complement the Charleston gate at the far
end of the garden and incorporates the Society’s “star” logo. The
garden includes dwarf boxwood, spring and fall blooming camellias,
oakleaf hydrangeas and native Sweet Bay magnolias. The adjoining
picket fence was designed after the Chase-Lloyd House fence in Annapolis.
The Nettie Jones Garden has rectangular beds and intersecting axis
as is typical of classical garden design in the 17th and 18th Centuries.
The Alice D. Huxley Herb Garden in the right rear corner has a sundial
as its focal point.
417 HARRISON STREET, EASTON
The structure of the garden
is formed by several large shade trees and crape myrtles, along
with fences and beautiful entrance gates with arbors. Wide grassy
paths meander around the garden creating wide planting beds for
broad sweeps of shrubs, providing privacy and muffling traffic
noise. Behind the garden fence, a lush shade garden surrounds
a terrace soothed by the sound of water. In the sunny rear garden,
a prolific fig tree shares space with the garden shed and a wildflower
patch. The garden's creators, Todd Mathis and Regis Breen, will
be present to talk about the design and plant material selection.
28630 LOIS LANE, COOKE’S HOPE, EASTON
The wrap-around porch greets
visitors and provides a perfect entrance to the romantic interior
created by the owner. The foyer and the dining room introduce
the quiet neutral pallet used throughout the home and lead to
the inviting salon where the sitting area takes advantage of
the fireplace. In the keeping room and kitchen the color scheme
picks up the hues of a tea-washed Soumak rug and a framed sea
grass collage. Upstairs, the guest sitting room leads to a wide
library hallway and three luscious guest rooms. The screened
back porch faces the pool, featuring the statues of the Four
Seasons in an arched hedge of yews at the top of the pool. The
theme of an “All Seasons” garden is continued with bulbs, perennials,
flowering shrubs and trees to complement the hardscapes and arbor-covered
5985 CANTERBURY DRIVE, EASTON
Canterbury Manor is a colonial
revival mansion on Bailey’s Neck, overlooking Trippe Creek, the
main block built by Colonel F. Carroll Goldsborough in 1906.
The majestic two-and-one-half story home was expanded by the
Wheeler Family who lived in the house from 1915 until 1945. The
grand foyer with original glass extends through to the water
side of the house. The master bedroom has views of the entire
property and a large porch overlooks the formal gardens and the
pool. Featured on the third floor is a teddy bear-filled grandchildren’s
dormitory tucked under the front facing eave.
DUVALL FARM AND LODGE,
6150 OXFORD ROAD, EASTON
Habitat revitalization to attract
both native and migratory birds through conservation restoration
programs has been the focus of the owners, whose primary residence
is but a stone’s throw away. Using various conservation practices,
the primary goal of the owners is to create and maintain high-quality
habitat for native wildlife species while minimizing sediment and
nutrient runoff from agricultural fields. The farm is
a major wintering area for Canada geese and numerous species of
both diving and puddle ducks. In the midst of these conserved lands
sits a rustic lodge on the banks of a man-made lake, bringing visions
of times past. The cluster of outbuildings beside the lodge includes
a dog trot and an “outhouse” matching the pioneer spirit of the
log main house.
5365 MORGAN’S POINT DRIVE, OXFORD
This gracious home, situated
on the Tred Avon River, was completed in 2006 and reflects classic
Eastern Shore architecture with European influences. The main
entry hall introduces the homeowners’ love of dogs and nature as
themes for furnishings and accessories. The kitchen, graced by
a large “Copernicus” iron chandelier, has two islands for the serious
cook and a convenient walnut wine cellar enhanced by the owner’s
collection of whimsical framed corkscrews. Also downstairs is the
billiard room with its hand-made reproduction of a billiard table
found in historic Raleigh Tavern in Williamsburg, VA. Upstairs
the panoramic view of the river shows a sweep of gardens from the
terrace to the lavender garden and pool garden adjacent to the
dining pavilion. Strolling outdoors from the central terrace to
enjoy the many outdoor living areas, guests may visit the unusual
hexagonal storage shed with its wrap-around pergola and continue
on into the formal and organic vegetable gardens, the screened
berry patch and the working greenhouse.
301 SOUTH MORRIS STREET, OXFORD
This 1890's house is an example
of a side passage, two-story, two-bay frame dwelling popular throughout
Oxford. In contrast to the narrow roundededged weather boards (Deutsch
siding) of the body of the house, the gable end is sheathed with
pointed fish-scale shingles. Slender pilasters trim the corners
of the house. A family room addition was built and original hardwood
floors were matched with reclaimed flooring from an old warehouse
of the same period. The dining table was custom-built by a local
craftswoman from recycled antique pine. Climbing up the original
staircase to the second floor, one finds three bedrooms lovingly
and whimsically decorated for family visitors and the master suite
in serene green.
221 SOUTH STREET, OXFORD, Garden Only
The Stevens family built
the Gothic Farmhouse on the shore of Town Creek in 1880. It is
well known today as the home of the original Nellie R. Stevens
Holly. The current owners came to Oxford in 1979 and became diligent
stewards of the site, guarding the many mature trees and shrubs
even while installing six geothermal wells in the summer of 2009.
They have added many amenities to the garden including a vegetable
garden, screened blueberry patch supported by the brown gold
of their compost piles, a pool with a perennial border and generous
lawn-reducing planting areas for native plants. One of the owners'
most extensive projects has been the restoration of their shoreline
and the eradication of invasive Phragmites.
ST. PAUL’S CHURCH,
SOUTH MORRIS STREET, OXFORD
In 1856 the Oxford Methodists
built the white frame church with elements of Greek Revival styling,
including the low pitch gable roof, dentil cornice molding, beaded
trim around the rectangular windows and wide corner pilasters.
The 1882 front addition to the church included lateral wings, a
vestibule, steeple and bell. The Gothic Revival influences can
be seen on the arched lancet windows, Victorian sawn work on the
wooden spire, and the pointed arch entrance fitted with Gothic
styled double doors. The church closed its doors in 1977. The Stanleys
bought it in 1979. Lightning destroyed the 80-foot steeple, so
in 1991 a replica based on photographs of the original was erected.
Then in 2008 the owners embarked on the interior renovation and
restoration. The main church was lifted and temporarily suspended
while a new foundation was built. The present wood wainscoting
and finish flooring is reused long leaf yellow pine, and the original
pressed tin of the ceiling and walls was scraped, primed and repainted.
Seven original acetylene chandeliers and two harp lights stowed
in the attic of the church were restored and electrified.
City (Guilford) | Baltimore County | Montgomery
Charles County | Talbot
County | Cecil
Maryland House and
Garden Pilgrimage Headquarters | 1105-A Providence Road | Towson, MD
21286 | 410.821.6933
Website developed by Berwick