SUNDAY, MAY 16, 2010 - 10 am
to 5 pm
Rain or Shine
Click here to download a PDF with
Directions, Tour Information and other Details.
PRINCIPIO MANSION HOUSE (also known as the Whitaker Mansion),
1723 PRINCIPIO FURNACE ROAD, PERRYVILLE
The Principio Iron Company, the
first in Maryland, was formed in England in 1714 and began to purchase
land in this area in 1721. Construction of a forge and furnace began
in 1722 and by the 1750s the company had built two other furnaces
in Baltimore County as well as one in Virginia. The existing mansion
is a large two-and-a-half story, hipped roof frame house, built in
the 1800s. It was the home of George P. Whitaker (1803-1890), the
last ironmaster at the ironworks. The most impressive feature of
the house is the expansive porch that wraps around the east and south
facades. A frame carriage house with scalloped eave trim stands to
the east of the house. The British destroyed the iron-making facilities
during the War of 1812.
LINTON HOUSE 316 MARKET STREET, CHARLESTOWN
Built by Town Commissioner
William Linton when Charlestown served as the county seat, this
fine house stands as a reminder of that prominent time in the
town’s history. Samuel Hogg, a prosperous businessman from Wilmington,
purchased the house in 1797 and it served as his residence until
his death. George Washington recorded several stops here on his
journeys along the Post Road from Philadelphia to Mount Vernon.
The two story, five bay Flemish bond brick house is a restrained,
late example of high-style Georgian architecture, complete with
brick beltcourse and molded water table on the main façade. The
door leads to a wide center hall flanked on each side by two
INDIAN QUEEN TAVERN,
322 MARKET STREET, CHARLESTOWN
The Indian Queen is a two
story frame structure 30 feet square with a floor plan consisting
of four rooms arranged around a massive chimney, which rises
through the middle of the first floor and accommodates four fireplaces
set back to back. The cellar has no fireplace and was used for
storage, although the bulk of it is filled by the huge stone
foundation of the chimney, which is approximately 10 feet square.
Throughout the interior, the moldings and trim are characteristic
of the mid-18th century. The roof was rebuilt in the 19th century.
The Indian Queen was restored in the 1960’s with funds available
through the Maryland Historical Trust. Behind the tavern is a
story and a half log kitchen with loft above. A two story smokehouse
stands between the Indian Queen and neighboring Red Lyon Tavern.
RED LYON TAVERN / BLACK’S STORE
328 MARKET STREET, CHARLESTOWN
Located on lot 96 of the
original plat of Charlestown, the building has a complex history.
At its core is a room measuring 23 x 19 feet and constructed
of poplar log planks, hewn square with the ends neatly fitted
with intricate dovetailing. Some of the planks are twelve inches
wide and five inches thick. The siding on the front is identical
to the wide shiplap planks on the front of the later, larger
structure, and the lower edges are beaded in the same way. Drylaid
rubblestone walls underpin the log structure to form a cellar
keeping room; the great cellar fireplace has an opening five
feet wide. In about 1830 a one-room addition was built to the
west of the log room. It also stands on a rubblestone foundation
but exhibits post-and-beam construction. A second addition made
to the rear of this structure contains a kitchen with a deep
fireplace on the first floor.
FAIR HILL NATURE CENTER, 630 TAWES DRIVE, ELKTON
William du Pont, Jr., a great,
great grandson of Pierre Samuel du Pont, bought the first farm
(1929) that would later become his Fair Hill estate. Italian stone
masons built the hunting lodge (1945) which now houses the nature
center. Mr. du Pont died in 1965 and his heirs sold the 5,700 acre
Fair Hill property to the State of Maryland’s Department of Natural
Resources. Fair Hill Nature Center opened in the former hunting
lodge on Earth Day, April 16, 1990. The Foxcatcher Farm Covered
Bridge, over Big Elk Creek, was constructed in 1860 at a cost of
$1,165. In 1994, the bridge received the State’s Historic Civil
Engineering Landmark Award. Also, on Fair Hill property is the
Fair Hill Training Center. With a professional crew and on site
veterinary services, they are well equipped to handle all equine
needs. Pilgrims are welcome to watch the horses train on the tracks
from the Clock Tower.
SINKING SPRINGS HERB FARM,
843 ELK FOREST ROAD, ELKTON
There are 130 acres of gardens
surrounding an 18th century provincial plantation house made of
logs. The gardens feature a new Labyrinth Serenity Walk and an
ancient sycamore tree, sprouted in 1578. The gift shop features
herbs, teas and dried flower creations.
KELSO MUSEUM (former office of Allaire du Pont at Woodstock Farm),
320 WOODSTOCK FARM LANE,
Dedicated to the memory of
one of America’s greatest Thoroughbred Champions, Kelso, Kelso
was voted U.S. Horse of the Year for an unmatched five consecutive
years, 1960 through 1964 . Along the tree-lined drive, you will
pass lush pastures on both sides where this great horse once reigned
as king. Kelso’s gravesite is on site as well.
ST. STEPHEN’S CHURCH,
14 GLEBE ROAD, EARLEVILLE
St. Stephen’s Church was
organized in 1692 in North Sassafras, one of the thirty original
in Maryland. The structure was dedicated to the honor of Saint Stephens on March
25, 1706. The fourth structure to house the congregation, the current building
reflects the Gothic Revival design common to many 19th century church buildings.
The architectural massing is typical of rural churches and consists of an axial
orientation, rectangular sanctuary, and dominant front tower with broach spire.
The church has undergone renovations and construction in 1737, 1823 and 1873.
The new additions included a chancel, steeple, and much steeper roof and has
remained virtually unaltered since the 1870’s. The first ordination of African-American
clergy south of the Mason-Dixon line occurred here in 1834. There is currently
an interim rector at the church.
MOUNT HARMON PLANTATION,
600 MT. HARMON ROAD, EARLEVILLE
Mount Harmon is one of the
few remaining colonial era Plantations open to the public, and
is a historic and scenic treasure. The Plantation is situated on
a peninsula formed by creeks and inlets of the Sassafras River
in Cecil County, Maryland, known on early maps as World’s End.
Mount Harmon features a manor house c. 1730, colonial kitchen,
formal boxwood garden, rare tobacco prize house, 200-acre nature
preserve, and a scenic waterfront location with nature trails,
abundant wildlife and rare flora. Mount Harmon is listed on the
National Historic Register, is an official Chesapeake Bay Gateway
Network site and is located on the Captain John Smith Water Trail.
Mount Harmon is an important colonial era landmark and center for
heritage preservation and education.
City (Guilford) | Baltimore County | Montgomery County
County | Talbot County | Cecil County
Maryland House and
Garden Pilgrimage Headquarters | 1105-A Providence Road | Towson, MD
21286 | 410.821.6933
Website developed by Berwick