maryland house and garden pilgimage

BALTIMORE CITY 
A WALKING TOUR OF THE GUILFORD NEIGHBORHOOD

SUNDAY, APRIL 28, 2013
10 am to 5 pm


With a record number of visitors anticipated for Sherwood Garden’s springtime tulip display and the MHGP Tour, please consider parking and use of one car and/or walking the Tour. Parking is available at the Scottish Rites Temple, Charles Street and 39th Street. The lot has 75 parking spaces. Entrance to parking lot is 39th Street. There will also be parking available after 1:00 pm at The Cathedral of the Incarnation, Charles Street at University Parkway. Parking lot entry is Charles Street.


 

Special Project: Funds raised from the tour will benefit Sherwood Gardens, the famed tulip garden located in the heart of the Guilford community. Sherwood Gardens is a spectacular and rare floral display, which serves as a much-needed green space in the urban environment of Baltimore City. More than six acres in size, Sherwood Gardens is owned, operated, and maintained by Stratford Green, a 501 (c) 3 established in 1965 to preserve these historic gardens for the benefit of the public in perpetuity. Stratford Green does not at this time receive government support. Contributions from the community serve as the sole source of funding for the annual tulip displays. For further information, please visit www.guilfordassociation.org .
 

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~HISTORY~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 Guilford’s history dates back more than 200 years.  Originally comprised of 10 patents granted to British citizens from the mid-1600s through the 1700s, the area was valued for its “gentle swells, which afford many beautiful views of the city and bay.”  The entire area was sold in 1780 as confiscated British property to Revolutionary War veteran General William McDonald.  General McDonald gave Guilford its name and began the tradition of celebrated architecture still evident today.  The land that is Sherwood Gardens today included a small and beautiful lake with footbridges and winding paths graced with shrubs and statuary.  In the mid-1800s, a buffalo was seen roaming the grounds with a herd of deer, much to the delight and surprise of passersby.  Then as today, architecture and natural beauty were equally valued. In 1872, the McDonald family sold Guilford to Arunah S. Abell, owner of The Baltimore Sun.  The Abell family owned Guilford until 1907, when the estate was sold for one million dollars to the Guilford Park Company, which in 1911 consolidated with the Roland Park Company.  In May of 1913, the Roland Park Company presented the first model homes in Guilford to the public with much fanfare. Guilford, now a National Register Historic District, will celebrate its centennial year with a full calendar of special events commencing with this special Centennial Edition Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage of Guilford featuring many homes never before presented to the public.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ DIRECTIONS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

ROUTES FROM BALTIMORE:  North on Charles Street. Right onto 39th Street. Right onto St. Paul Street to site #1.

ROUTES FROM WASHINGTON: I-95 North to 695 West (Baltimore Beltway) to Charles Street (Exit 25) then South, crossing Coldspring Lane. Left onto St. Paul Street to site #1.

ROUTES FROM PHILADELPHIA AND WILMINGTON: I-95 South to 695 West (Baltimore Beltway) to Charles Street (exit 25), then as above.
 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ LUNCH ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 

Members of the Mount Royal Garden Club will offer lunch fare, snacks, beverages, and garden themed gift items at Second Presbyterian Church (site #10) located at 4200 St. Paul Street, in Smith Hall, from noon until 4:30 P.M. Advance reservations for lunch are strongly encouraged as there are few alternative dining options convenient to Guilford. To purchase your Box Lunch ($15), mail your check payable to Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage care of The Guilford Association, 4200 St. Paul Street, Suite 100, Baltimore MD 21218 prior to April 22nd. The first 700 ticket holders to visit the café and gift shop will receive a special limited-edition artist-designed Guilford Centennial poster featuring Sherwood Gardens courtesy of Guilford’s Centennial Sponsor, PRITTE. All proceeds from the café and gift shop will benefit Sherwood Gardens.


 

tourschedule

ST. PAUL STREET, GARDEN ONLY

With its steep roofs of graduated Vermont slate, an outdoor loggia, and elegant windows, this French Country style house is one of the outstanding twin houses marking the entrance to Guilford at the northern end of Gateway Park. The house was designed by the Baltimore architectural team of Edward L. Palmer, Jr. (1877-1952) and William D. Lamdin (1892-1945). This home displays the attention to detail and graceful proportions that make Palmer and Lamdin projects so distinctive. The gardens were designed in 2003-2004 for the current owners by Philadelphia-based landscape architect, Harriet Pattison ASLA. A row of espaliered pear trees borders the St. Paul Street side of the property and creates a backdrop for an eyelid rose garden. Numerous specimen trees mark the property and a beech hedge lines the back as a memorial to an enormous century old beech felled by Hurricane Isabel. The property has several perennial gardens and over one hundred rose bushes. This property and its twin sit between two of Guilford’s parks, to the north is the Little Park, a small park designed by the Olmsted Brothers and part of the original plans for Guilford. To the south is Gateway Park, a three-acre triangular green space created in 1939, to prevent the erection of apartment complexes at that site. The Bouton Memorial Fountain sits at the southernmost tip of Gateway Park.boys.

border

SOUTHWAY

This Colonial Revival style home was built circa 1923 — the original plans were stamped approved May of 1923. Although Guilford features Colonial Revival style homes heavily, this house is notable as the only home with a bungalow feel in a community of eight hundred homes. No architect was listed on the original plans and this house may have been designed by the builder. The current owner has transformed the gardens into a lush symphony of color and texture. The garden features various garden “rooms” with particular attention paid to color palette. Decks, a koi pond, and luxuriously abundant perennials are a delight to the senses. This garden was selected as the best medium sized garden in The Baltimore Sun’s annual garden contest in 2012.

border

CHANCERY ROAD

The “Turnbull House” is the former home of noted Baltimore artist Grace Hill Turnbull. Designed by the artist’s brother, Bayard Turnbull, the home is distinguished by its unique architectural style, an eclectic mix of Spanish Mission and Arts and Crafts elements that stands out in a neighborhood better known for stately Georgian and Tudor style houses. The artist’s passion for her craft, and also her religious fervor, are on display in her church-like studio, with stained glass window and bell tower, religious inscriptions and carvings throughout the home and garden, and most obviously in the home’s unique totem sculptures at the three corners of the home. These unique works of devotion were hand-carved by Turnbull in situ after the home was built.  After decades of deterioration without a true owner-occupant, the current owners undertook a complete renovation of the home in 2011, preserving the home’s historic and architectural legacy while also modernizing the home for a young, growing family. Inside, the home’s wood-paneled, two-story grand parlor, which once served as a gallery for Turnbull’s own work, now displays paintings from the current owners’ family – also a family of artists.

border

 

LAMBETH ROAD

The famed architectural team of Howard M. Mottu (1868-1953) and Henry S. Taylor White (1879-1946) designed this Georgian Revival style brick home which was completed in September of 1927. The current (and fourth) owners also moved in during the month of September, but in 1999, excited by the prospect of enjoying the great entertaining spaces hidden beyond the front door in the generous garden space outside. With the help of the landscape architectural firm of Mahan Rykiel Associates, the owners have transformed the garden space that greeted them by adding a raised kitchen garden, a pool, and both formal and woodland gardens. During the 2010-2011 timeframe, indoor renovations were completed including expanding the kitchen and recreating the second floor. The paneling, cornices, mantels, wainscoting, formal stairwell landing, and Palladian window, all have the original intricately carved work which is also in evidence on the home’s exterior. The stylized pineapple finial above the entrance matches the other traditional symbols of welcome .

border

HIGHFIELD ROAD

This gracious English Tudor style stone home was built in 1929 by and for John E. Greiner, whose company, Greiner Engineering, constructed the Bay Bridge. Statues of Aristotle and Socrates stand on either side of the vestibule as one enters. Of particular interest are the beautiful millwork, sandstone fireplaces in the living and dining rooms and original paintings by Mrs. Heaton. In back of the home are a large stone terrace and beautiful boxwood gardens.
border

GREENWAY 

This Italian Renaissance Revival style stucco home bearing terracotta tile roof is one of Guilford’s earliest homes. The 6,000 square foot residence features decorative moldings and hardwood floors throughout. The first floor’s formal entry, living and dining rooms showcase a collection of antiques and hand-colored botanical prints from the late 1800s. The home was built with two coal-burning fireplaces (one recently converted to gas), a central vacuum system and an extensive electrical system forgoing the use of gaslight. Palladian windows ornament the front, center and rear first floor of the home. French doors with arched transoms lead to a wraparound side porch which the family uses for relaxing, dining and entertaining. The space currently used as the family room originally served as the children’s dining room. In the early 1990s, the kitchen was completely remodeled, combining several small rooms and a porch. The outdoor kitchen, spa and putting green were installed in 2010, reflecting interests of the present owners. Grounds of nearly three-quarters of an acre feature mature flowering shrubs, including hydrangeas, roses and and azaleas, as well as other perennial plants in hues favored by the owner.

border

SHERWOOD GARDENS, GREENWAY AND STRATFORD ROAD

During the 1880s, Sherwood Gardens was a pond on the Guilford estate of A. S. Abell, founder of The Baltimore Sun. The pond was later filled in when the area was developed for housing in 1912. John W. Sherwood, son of the president of the Baltimore Steam Packet Company  purchased this large parcel adjacent to Stratford Green, a community green space designed by the Olmstead Brothers. Mr. Sherwood permitted the public to visit the gardens to enjoy the spring beauty of tulips imported from the Netherlands.  Begun as a hobby, Sherwood Gardens is now the most famous tulip garden in North America. Approximately 80,000 tulip bulbs are planted annually along with other spring flowering bulbs.

border

CHARLCOTE ROAD

This lovely home was designed by the architect Lawrence Hall Fowler (1876-1971) and constructed in 1913, making this property one of the first homes built in Guilford. This home was originally built for James C. Fenhagen, a banker with Robert Garrett & Sons. In 1926 the home was sold to Albert C. Bruce, a noted industrialist, and it remained in the Bruce family until 1974.  In 1930 the architectural team Palmer and Lamdin designed the rear library and side addition. The house features a central front entrance decorated with a classical portico, columns, circular pediments, and a paneled door flanked by sidelights with ornamental shell motif.  A group of four casements windows with transoms flank the entrance and are capped by a splayed brick lintel with emphasized brick keystone.  Second floor casement windows are grouped in threes and brick panels with a diagonal motif flank the central group of windows. Above a brick dentil cornice, the slate roof caps the façade and is punctuated by three dormers.  An elevated brick patio attached to the south elevation of the house overlooks a tiered botanical garden. Significant interior features include plaster walls with wall molding and faux finish, wood paneled walls, crown molding, original oak flooring, original casement windows with brass hardware and multiple fireplaces and crystal chandeliers. 

border

RUGBY ROAD

Best known as the home of celebrated poet and lyricist Ogden Nash (1902-1971), this Tudor Revival style Guilford home was completed in 1927. The woodwork visible on the first floor is believed to have been salvaged from a Colonial estate on the Eastern Shore which had fallen into disrepair. The Nash family during their tenure established a lovely garden featuring pond, ornamental statuary, climbing roses and other flowering ornamentals which is being refreshed by the current owners. Ogden Nash and his wife first rented a home on Underwood Road and then moved to the Rugby Road property with his parents. In 1939 Nellie Nash gave the Rugby Road house to her son outright.  The house passed out of the family in 1953.

border

ST PAUL STREET

In 1923, Second Presbyterian Church purchased property near the intersection of Charles Street and St. Paul Street in Guilford for the third home for the congregation in its 210 year life in Baltimore. The congregation hired the architectural team of Palmer and Lamdin. Ground was broken for the Church House and Tower on December 11, 1924 and for the Sanctuary and Manse on April 26, 1929. The Manse was completed and occupied in December of that year, and the Sanctuary was dedicated a short time later on October 26, 1930. A Chapel and Office Wing were added in 1966. In 2005, Second Presbyterian Church launched a 5 million dollar multi-phase renovation of the Sanctuary, Chapel, and Office Wing.  The Sanctuary has been restored and its beautiful light-filled Georgian Revival interior is available for viewing. Additionally, members of the Mount Royal Garden Club will offer lunch fare, snacks, beverages, and garden themed gift items in Smith Hall, from noon until 4:30 P.M. The first 700 ticket holders to visit the café and gift shop will receive a special edition artist-designed Guilford Centennial poster featuring Sherwood Gardens courtesy of Guilford’s Centennial Sponsor, PRITTE. Please plan your day accordingly.
 

border

ST PAUL STREET

This gracious center hall Colonial Revival style brick home was designed by the architect Theodore Wells Pietsch (1869-1930) and constructed circa 1925. Pietsch, best known for the Saints Philip and James Catholic Church at 2801 N. Charles, near Guilford, was responsible for many homes in Guilford and throughout The Roland Park Company District. The first floor features marine and equestrian themed artworks. The beautifully appointed interior is complemented by a recent landscaping effort including the addition of many trees.
 

border

WENDOVER ROAD

This elegant Colonial Revival style home was designed by the architectural firm of Howard M. Mottu (1868-1953) and Henry S. Taylor White, Jr. (1879-1946). Built circa 1916, the home features Flemish bond brick façade, hipped slate roof, upper floor dormer windows, and two fan windows at the front entrance framed by a pediment and columns. In 2006, renovations designed by Melville Thomas Architects, Inc. joined the original pantry and back vestibule to create a gourmet Christopher Peacock kitchen and breakfast room with access to the backyard. Simultaneously, both sun porches were renovated to expand the living space. The original west porch is now a walnut-paneled library, and the east porch a bright, sun-filled family room. Bookcases and fireplaces were added to each sunroom, and the original molding on the home was carried throughout the renovated spaces. In the basement, an original arched brick opening and root cellar has been transformed into a wine cellar. Landscaping, including a new bluestone patio and stonewall was completed by Foxborough Nursery.
border

 

 

 

Anne Arundel County | Queen Anne County | Baltimore City (Guilford) 
Somerset & Worcester Counties | Charles County


Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage Headquarters
6200 N. Charles Street  | Baltimore, MD 21212 | 410.821.6933

Website developed by Berwick Associates


 
Join Our Mailing List
Email:  
For Email Marketing you can trust